Byzantine coins and seals were found during excavations of the suburb of Chersonesos

Archaeologists conducted exploration of the southern suburbs of ancient Chersonesos and collected a collection of rare artifacts of the Byzantine period, the press service of the Sevastopol Museum-Reserve “Chersonesos Taurichesky” reported on Friday.

“A large collection of black-glazed, red-lacquered and glazed ceramics, metal, glass, stone and bone products. Rare finds include lead seals of Byzantine officials, a Slavic lunar earring, gold coins of the Byzantine usurper emperors Artavazd (743) and Constantine X Duca (1059-1067), “the message says.

Intelligence was held since January on the site of the projected historical and archaeological park outside the city walls of Chersonesos. Episodic excavations were carried out here in 1890-1893. Since the end of the 19th century, this territory has been occupied by the military, who are gradually liberating it.

In the course of the research, crypts of the Hellenistic and Roman times, cut out in the rock, utility and industrial premises, new defensive walls, and water cisterns were also found. Scientists came to the conclusion that the territory closest to Chersonesos was used by the townspeople at all times of the existence of the polis.

Archaeologists believe that during the heyday of Chersonesos, industrial and economic structures were located in the suburbs. In the first centuries of our era, a city necropolis was located here, and at the end of the 10th century, residential and economic buildings reappeared. This era includes rooms carved into the rock, as well as various structures, including a rattle – a wine press.

“At that time, terraces were arranged on the eastern slope opposite from the city, on which, apparently, gardens were located and vegetable gardens of townspeople. Probably, this peculiar suburb was defended by a separate defensive wall, the remains of which were found at a distance of more than 300 m from the previously known defensive structures of the city, ”the press release notes.

Based on the results of research on the territory of the projected historical and archaeological park the southern suburb of the ancient city “Tavricheskiy Chersonesos” has been registered with the Sevastopol Cultural Heritage Department. Scientists believe that its discovery may give rise to “a new stage in the archaeological research of the ancient and medieval city.”

Chersonesos is an ancient settlement, medieval fortresses and sites of a unique agricultural area, the so-called chora. Here, according to the most widespread version, Prince Vladimir was baptized in 988. The reserve was included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2013.

On the territory of the museum-reserve archaeologists find traces of many peoples who lived in different eras. The first settlers of Chersonesos – Greek colonizers – arrived here in the 5th century BC. Since its inception, the policy has existed for about two thousand years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*